The Krakow Opera Company, or Opera Krakowska, which has been in operation since 1954, has recently moved into new quarters. The new Opera House is located at 48 Lubicz Street, one kilometer east of the Old Town.
The new opera house for the Opera Krakowska was constructed from 2004 – 2008 and opened in December of 2008. The first show was Krzysztof Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun, based on a work by Aldous Huxley. Upcoming productions in February include Verdi’s La Traviata and Mozart’s Don Giovanni, among others.
The main theater of the Opera House is called the Great Stage. It has 300 square meters of space and can seat 750 people. In addition to the main stage, the new building has two other theaters, a foyer/exhibition hall and restaurant. The two smaller stages can seat 100 and 200 people. The entire building is has 12,000 square meters and was designed by Krakow architects Romuald Loegler, Piotr Urbanowicz, and Grzegorz Dresler.
More Polish News